The weather has finally started to cool and summer is winding down. You may see an increase in pest activity such as spiders and mice. These pests will be on the lookout for a place to keep warm through winter but before you get all cozy inside your home we have some great fall pest prevention tips to follow.
- Keep your yard clutter free, free of leaf litter and free of unnecessary items. Many insects and critters will seek shelter in piles of clutter
- Store firewood as far away from your home as reasonably possible (at least 20-30 feet away from the home)
- Don’t stack firewood directly on the ground. Use concrete blocks, bricks or firewood grates to keep the wood from direct contact with the ground. Maintaining good airflow underneath the wood pile will help reduce moisture as many insects are attracted to moisture.
- Do not let water sit stagnant in the yard. Make sure flower pots drain properly, rain water isn’t collecting where it shouldn’t be (check gutters too), bird baths.
- Pets should get fresh water daily, food and water bowls should not be left out all night
- Remove all grass and weeds from around the foundation. Creating a gravel or stone barrier (about two feet) between the lawn and the foundation of the home will help reduce insects climbing onto your home. Material such as pea gravel can be helpful
- Foundations vents should have proper fitting screens free of holes and tears. Open/screens with holes will allow rodents access underneath your house, and that is not a good problem to have. Stray cats may also find their way into the crawl space when seeking warm shelter. They’ll have no reason to move on if there are plenty of mice to eat.
Following fall prevention tips like this can save you headache and money in the future. Making your home less attractive to the pest can reduce their numbers if you are seeing them around your home.Tags: blog, boise pest control, eagle pest control, fall, kuna pest control, meridian pest control, mice, nampa pest control, pest control boise, pest prevention, pest tips, pests, prevention, spiders, tips